By Whitney Dunn, Rhapsody Coaches Mentorship Program at Rhapsody Fitness in Charleston, SC
When I found out I was pregnant it was a complete surprise. At the time, my life was in flux with the one of the few constants being fitness. I was at the height of athleticism and training like a beast.
Then, bam, two pink lines later and I thought all those benchmarks would be no more than a memory.
As my fellow mamas know too well, motherhood is a journey – looking back, there are 7 truths I wish someone had shared with me, or that I knew to tell myself, before I started my mom walk.
- Repeat after me: your athleticism does not end when motherhood begins! Say it again a little louder for the people in the back…
- You are stronger than you know. You thought a PR was impressive? Your body is about to blow your damn mind. And it’s going to do it with a precious parasite the size of a kiwi stealing all your snacks…
- That beautiful body will start to look and act different – roll with it. Resistance is futile. Instead of getting frustrated or feeling foreign in your own skin, practice awareness and tune into these shifts. You’re still you – you’re just growing a human, which is bound to shake things up.
- Comparison steals joy. It’s even more cruel and unusual to stack your expecting self up against your former self. So don’t do it. Be present and focus on where you are today – now is what matters.
- Hold space. You are going through cha-cha-cha-changes, but try not to lose yourself along the way. Prioritize your wellness and continue doing what grounds you. If that includes your gym time and hanging with your swolemates, then it has to happen.
- Advocate for yourself. Be your greatest cheerleader and fiercest defender. Speak up early and often. Ask for what you need. Rally that support squad.
- Tell coach. As soon as you are comfortable, share the good word – this will help ensure you are training as safely and effectively as possible, while also allowing your coach to give you the extra support you will need during this time. See point #6 for reference…
Once more for good measure, your athleticism does not end when motherhood begins. In fact, you may share my sentiment and find that health becomes that much more important and valuable to you.
If you are currently into or intrigued by CrossFit, you will also find that the programming is delightfully agile and adaptable – designed to meet you where you are and help you find your edge in that moment, which is ideal for the expecting athlete.
This is what we train for, mama – constantly varied to face the unknown. To learn more about how Rhapsody Fitness can help you train like a mother, check out our range of programs and get in touch with Team Rhapsody today.